Sadly, many ladies remain in the dark when it comes to what a pelvic exam entails, and this lack of knowledge is downright dangerous
During the exam you expect
- To feel a little discomfort, but you should not feel pain.
- The exam itself takes only a few minutes. If you have any questions during the exam, be sure to ask your healthcare provider.
- Before performing the pelvic exam, your doctor might listen to your heart and lungs and perform an abdominal, back and breast exam.
What tests are taken during the exam
- You will do a Pap is done to screen for cervical cancer or cells that look like they might lead to cancer.
- You will be screened for sexually transmitted diseases.
- Your doctor can usually tell you immediately if the exam revealed anything unusual. Pap test results might take a few days. Your doctor will discuss with you any next steps, additional tests, follow-up or treatment that you need.
- Your pelvic exam is a good time to talk to your doctor about your sexual or reproductive health. If you have questions, be sure to discuss them during your visit.