Marijuana is the most commonly used illicit drug in the world. Also called: Weed, Cannabis, Ganja, Grass, Hash, and Pot etc., for years has been considered a “gateway drug” leading to the use of other more addictive and dangerous substances.
It should be noted that in the last several years, public perceptions and acceptance of marijuana has improved due to revelations of several research done on it. However, lots of people still do not know much about the risk and benefits of cannabis.
In the United States, marijuana has been legalized for recreational use in some states, and legalized for medical use in others states.
Is weed as dangerous as purported?
All the research done has been on people who use it almost daily. So far, we don’t know much about possible risk for people who use it occasionally. Most clinicians have the view that when it comes to weed use, moderation is the key; as with everything else.
If you drink too much coffee, you will get a stomach ache, and if you use too much weed, you can get impaired memory. It all comes down to consuming responsibly
- Unlike alcohol, marijuana is not physically addictive; meaning that if you suddenly stop smoking it, you might feel irritable, anxious and have troubling sleeping. But it will not make you sick, or kill you. It is also very hard for to overdose on weed.
- When you consume a large amount of weed, it can lead to extremely unpleasant consequences like a psychotic episode but won’t directly cause death.
There are no reports of people dying from using just weed. But, it can cause both short-term and long-term effects.
- You can have changes in mood, feelings of anxiety, and paranoia
- You can have increased appetite
- Your sense of time could be altered; such as minutes seeming like hours
- You could have trouble with thinking, problem-solving, and memory
- Effects of lightheadedness, a feeling of relaxation, and reduced blood pressure.
- You are at increased risk of chronic cough, bronchitis, weakened immune system.
- If you use a lot of weed you will have problem with verbal memory and cognitive task.
- Problem with low birth weight and child development during and after pregnancy, if you use it while pregnant.
- If you start using it as a teenager before your brain is fully grown and developed, you may have problem with thinking, memory and learning.In fact research has shown that compared with those who don’t smoke marijuana, students who do are more likely to drop out.
Marijuana plant has chemicals that can help with some health problems such as:
- Chronic pain
- Nausea caused by chemotherapy
- Increase in appetite in patients who have severe weight loss from AIDS
- Some form of childhood epilepsy
Hopefully, research findings will continue to reveal more medicinal benefits of weed, and if you if you live in a place where weed is legalized enjoy it responsibly.