Alcohol intoxication or poisoning can be extremely dangerous, and your wanting to help someone who is intoxicated could make it worse for them.
Here is a list of NEVER do in dealing with someone who has drunk to excess.
What you should not do
- Never put them under a cold shower. The alcohol in their system already lowered their body. So, a cold shower could make them colder than they already are leading to a medical emergency.
- Never leave them to sleep it off. The amount of alcohol in their blood continues to rise even when they’re not drinking, and could lead their body system not working properly.
- Never give them a coffee. Their body is already dehydrated due to the excess alcohol, and coffee will make them more dehydrated causing permanent brain damage.
- Never try to make them vomit. Their gag reflex won’t be working properly which means they could choke on their vomit.
- Never walk them around. It could cause accidents because the alcohol will slow down their brain’s functions and affect their sense of balance.
- Never try to feed them. It might make them choke.
- Never play healthcare provider and try to give them. medication. It might worsen the person’s condition.
- Never let them drink any more alcohol. The amount of alcohol in their bloodstream could become dangerously high.
What you should do
- Try to keep them awake and sitting up.
- Give them some water, if they can drink it.
- Lie them on their side in the recovery position if they’ve passed out, and check they’re breathing properly.
- Keep them warm.
- Stay with them and monitor their symptoms.
- If they’re not getting any better, don’t delay, dial 991 or take them to the ER