Hey lovers! Whether you plan to celebrate on your own or with someone special, use these tips from CDC to give a gift of health to you or someone you love on Valentine’s Day.
Consider making a healthy meal for Valentine’s Day. Serve food lower in salt and fat content, provide more fruits and vegetables, and make less sugary sweets for an overall healthy Valentine’s Day.
Spread love, not germs.
Be Germs Free
Protect yourself from the cold and flu.
- You should wash your hands often.
- Avoid close contact when you or someone you know is sick.
- Get your flu vaccine.
Prevent sexually transmitted infections (STIs) and unintended pregnancies.
- You should abstain from sex.
- If you choose to have sex, use latex condoms which can lower the risk for some STIs and unintended pregnancy.
- Having a long-term mutually monogamous relationship with an uninfected partner may help lower your risk.
Go easy on the bubbly.
- If you drink alcohol, do so only in moderation. Excessive alcohol use has immediate effects that increase the risk of many harmful health conditions. It is also the third leading cause of preventable death.
- Don’t drink and drive or letothers drink and drive. Women who are pregnant or trying to become pregnant should not drink any alcohol.
Gear up. Are you considering a new, potentially risky, or unsafe activity? Be sure to use appropriate safety gear, including seat belts, life vests, and helmets to help prevent injury.
Watch the sparks. If you decide to cook a romantic dinner, light some candles, or have a cozy fire, don’t leave them unattended.
Be aware. Women are more likely to be victims of sexual violence, including intimate partner violence, than men. Risk factors such as drinking alcohol and using drugs are associated with a greater likelihood of violence.
Consider that your valentine may have allergies, asthma, diabetes, or other health conditions. You can be sensitive to your valentine by finding out if certain foods, flowers, pets, stuffed animals, or anything else might affect his or her health.
Enjoy your day!