Have you or a family member been told you have pre-diabetes? Pre-diabetes means blood sugar is higher than normal but it’s not high enough to be type 2 diabetes. Think of pre-diabetes as a traffic light that goes from green (normal blood sugar), to yellow (pre-diabetes), to red (diabetes).
Pre-diabetes is the yellow warning light. It affects both adults and children. And it’s on the rise in children and teens. Many people don’t have any symptoms but having high blood sugar increases your risk of having type 2 diabetes.
Overtime, high blood sugar can damage the eyes, the kidneys, the nerves and other organs. By acting now, you can help delay type 2 diabetes. Listed below are what you can do to help bring back your blood sugar to normal range
Move more every day:
- when you are active, your muscle use the sugar in your blood for energy. How can you be more active? Take walks as a family, take the stairs instead of the elevator.
Swap sugar drinks:
- for water or milk. Sodas, Sport drinks, even juice can have as much sugar as a candy bar. That is a lot of sugar for you to drink.
- is important. Fill half of your plate with vegetables, a healthy snack like an apple with peanut butter, or a handful of nuts.
For kids and younger teens:
- the goal is to maintain weight or slow down weight gain as they grow. Help them focus on creating a healthy habit that will last a lifetime.
For older teens and adults who are overweight:
- losing 5-7% of your body weight can reduce your risk of developing type 2 diabetes by nearly 60%.
- if you are at avery high risk of developing type 2 diabetes after being diagnosed with prediabetes, your HCP may recommend medication. The American Diabetes Association says that metformin should be the only medication used to prevent T2D. It works by keeping the liver from making more glucose when you don’t need it, thereby keeping your blood glucose level in a better range.
Pre-diabetes is serious. The good news is if you’re motivated now, it is not too late to make some simple lifestyle adjustments, reverse prediabetes and live a healthy life.