High blood pressure AKA hypertension is a symptomeless “silent killer” that quietly damages blood vessels and leads to serious health problems.
In practice, we see lots of people with uncontrolled high blood pressure. Thing is they start off on monotherapy. Before you know it, they are up to two drugs, and soon, up to three drugs therapy and their blood pressure is still far from being controlled.
Thing is that depending on medications alone to control your blood pressure won’t cut it; just wont work. According to preventive cardiologists, managing your blood pressure is 70% lifestyle and 30% medications.
So, if you don’t make lifestyle changes, don’t bother taking your blood pressure meds because they wont work effectively.
If you do an internet search, you will find dozens of natural ways that claim to lower blood pressure, but the evidence behind those are limited or questionable. It is best to stick to methods that have stood the test of time if you are serious about natural ways to lower your blood pressure.
Natural ways to lower the “silent killer”
- Eat less salt: it is probably the most important ways to lower your BP. Studies have shown that a low salt diet has the same effect as one to half to two BP meds. Limiting your salt intake to 1500mg/day should drop your BP by 5-6 mmHg
- Eat more potassium: daily intake of 3,000 to 3500mg of potassium through foods such as bananas, tomatoes etc. should drop your BP to 4-5 mmHg.
- Start the DASH Diet: it emphasizes on eating fruits, vegetables, whole grains, low diary etc. This diet was created specifically to lower BP and can drop your systolic pressure up to 11 mmHg
- Lose weight: every loss of 2.2 pounds should result in a drop of 1 mmHg BP
- Limit alcohol intake: if you are a man (2 drinks/day) and a woman (1 drink/day). That may drop your BP as much as 4 mmHg
- Get physical: doing 150 minutes of aerobic activity a week can lower your BP 5-8 mmHg.
Don’t’ waste time, jump right into these healthy lifestyle ASAP.