Bad breath is the biggest turn off to the person you are talking to and it can take a toll on your confidence and affect your every day interactions.
Yes, it’s a sore subject but it’s best to address it for your health betterment and to fight off bad breath once and for all.
Brushing your teeth morning and night is just not enough. Also, chewing a mint gum will not always do the trick.
The best way is to keep your teeth, tongue and mouth clean with these helpful solutions that would help you fight off bad breath.
Causes of bad breath
The main reason is the bacteria that builds up on the back of your tongue or in-between your teeth due to
- eating or drinking strong-smelling or spicy foods and drinks
- problems with your teeth or gums, such as gum disease, holes in your teeth or an infection
- crash dieting
- some medical conditions, like tonsillitis or acid reflux
How to treat it
- The easiest and the most effective ways for you to fight bad breath is to drink plenty of water; preferably cold water to swish your mouth. It prevents dry mouth that leads to bad breath
- Minimize bad breath by using an alcohol-free mouth wash after brushing your teeth. It will help to kill off the germs and bacteria that have been in your mouth throughout the night
- You can mix a cup of water with a teaspoon of baking soda along with a few drops of antimicrobial essential oil. Gargling this solution will help change the PH level in your mouth and fights odor
- Chew on parsley, basil and/or mint leaves. The chlorophyll in them help neutralize the odor in your mouth.
- You should invest in flossing along with a good tongue scraper to scrape the bacteria off your tongue
- Change your tooth brush every 2-3 months. If not, the germs build up on it will cause more bacteria to grow in your mouth over time
- Make sure to buy a tooth brush with soft bristles. They will do least damage to your gums and give you a beautiful healthy smile.
If your bad breath isn’t improving with home treatment, consult your healthcare provider or dentist.