The regularity of the digestive system is important for the proper metabolism of the foods you eat so they can be properly used by the body. Sadly, digestive discomfort is a fact of life for most people.
I hear complains of problem with gas, bloating, constipation and diarrhea, to mention a few. For some of people, these digestive stresses disrupt their sleep and day to day life.
Learn what you can do to improve your digestive health and keep it running smoothly.
Tips for good digestion
- Chewing is important for proper digestion. So, you should chew your food well before swallowing.
- You should eat plenty of fiber to keep your food moving through your intestines easily. Also, because fatty food is hard to digest, pair such food with fiber.
- You should drink enough water to help digest your food properly.
- You should exercise. Any workouts that moves your body keeps food moving through your digestive tract because exercise will increase the blood flow to your organs and engage the muscles in your GI tract.
- You should reduce stress. Your brain and digestive system are connected, so feelings of stress and anxiety can mess with your digestive system.
Additional tips for good digestion
- You should eat warm food. your body requires warmth to break food down properly. So, make a habit of eating soup or drinking tea when you eat.
- If you are a smoker, stop! Smoking will weaken the valves at the end of your esophagus and increase your risks for GI cancer.
- You should drink less alcohol. It interferes with secretion of acid, stomach muscles and nutrient absorption.
- You should try and lose weight if obese to prevent digestive issues.
- You should try eating probiotics (found in yoghurt). It will help attack the unhealthy bacteria in your digestive tract.