Many people don’t realize alcohol is a poisonous substance. The American Medical Association classifies it as a poisonous drug.
Before you can even feel the effect of the alcohol on your system, it is already in the bloodstream. You do not know when you have had too much to drink until it is too late. This is similar to sunburn; by the time you feel it, you are already burned.
Once absorbed by the bloodstream, the alcohol leaves the body in three ways:
• The kidneys eliminate 5 percent of alcohol in the urine.
• The lungs exhale 5 percent of alcohol, which can be detected by breathalyzer devices.
• The liver chemically breaks down the remaining alcohol into acetic acid.
A brain surgeon will tell you if you put brain cells under a microscope and add a droplet of alcohol, the alcohol devours the brain cells. Which explains why people act stupid when they’re drunk.
To reduce the risk of alcohol-related harms, the 2015-2020 U.S. Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommends that if alcohol is consumed, it should be consumed in moderation—up to one drink per day for women and two drinks per day for men—and only by adults of legal drinking age.